Monday, January 30, 2006

It's Raining .. Men?

It was raining when I woke up this morning. I could tell by the way the cold felt a little damp and by the gentle tapping on the windowsill. Even before I had opened my eyes I knew it was raining. Then, after I got out of bed and made the long hard trek to the kitchen 3 feet away, I got another shock. I realized I was out of coffee.

Because of all this by the time I reached my car I was feeling a little grumpy. Monday morning, a cold wet slippery drive to the mountains and the prospect of a 2 hour staff meeting without coffee. What can be more lovely?

I pull out of my spot a little recklessly, lost in the little world in my head, and almost wipe out my neighbor. Okay, so I notice him a split second after I start backing out and slam on the brakes immediately but it was closer than I would have liked. I half expect him to jump over a puddle and start yelling. Instead he leisurely walks over to my window, smiles and taps on the glass.

This is odd but I know him. We have said hello a few times in the elevator. Plus he doesn't look crazy and he’s cute in an adorably artistic, non-threatening way. So I roll down the window - a little tentatively because in the city you still never know - and peer up at him. He bends down and beams, “Hey!”

Now people here, although they are nice people, still don’t behave quite this way. They are more likely to hop in their cars and try to run you down. The “Hey!” completely throws me. I stare at him, then find my inner goddess and bestow a dazzling smile on him, a reward for not attempting to run me down. He offers me his coffee.

This too is very unexpected as despite the fact that there are seventeen Starbucks within one block of where I live people here are naturally very protective of their coffee. I have even seen fights break out in the line. You don’t believe me? Go on a Monday morning around 9 am and see for yourself. Anyway, I find myself starting to stare again when he says, “I was just carrying an extra cup back to my apartment but I don’t need it. Here, it’s yours.” I protest. He insists. This is bizarre.

As I get closer to the mountains my mood significantly improves. I don’t know if it was the coffee or the guy or the rain or Ani DiFranco on the cd player or all of the above but I find myself humming happily. What’s a little rain on a beautiful Monday morning.

At work I park my car, gingerly step around some puddles, climb up the flights of stairs, hang a left at the paintings and start to make my way to my desk past the long line of cubes. Halfway through I notice someone speaking to me. I turn around and it’s some guy asking me if I am so & so. I am so I say yes. He introduces himself and says he hopes we run into each other again. Again, bizarre.

At my desk I intercept a note from Dave – a handwritten note – asking if I am free Wednesday. Lunch? Dave and I have gone on many work lunches, generally arranged over email or IM, so this too is puzzling. I call him and he says he thought I would like to go check out this new restaurant he's discovered. Yummy food, great ambience. He says, “It’s time, don’t you think?” What does he mean? We have been kind of innocuously flirting for months but I never thought of it as much more than that. Is it?

After standing John up Sunday morning I had emailed him to apologize and explain that I had a bit of a family emergency. He was a perfect gentleman. He replied that he hoped everything was okay and asked me if I was free Tuesday night. So now I have a date with John tomorrow night, Dave (possibly) asking me out, cute guys introducing themselves in corridors and offering up coffee.

Is this Spring? Restlessness? Or am I wearing a sign on my forehead that says I am ready to go back to dating again? Because I just realized something... I am.

3 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

Did you change your perfume?

By the way, what are you doing Saturday Night? I don't even know you, but there's something about you lately...

1/30/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger cherchezlafemme said...

Funny! No one paid extra attention to me rest of the day though. I peaked in one morning. How sad.

1/31/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger beefdrop said...

I'm excited for your revelation. I hope all the best things happen during your dates (good company, good food, a massage...). Hehee.

1/31/2006 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home