Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bright Young Things

My sister in law and I decided to go shopping today. We were browsing at the mall when we ran into Bright Young Thing from my last post. She was by herself so we naturally teamed up and spent the next two hours together trying on cute outfits. Finally, laden with shopping bags filled with goodies of our choice we made our way to one of the outdoor cafes for lunch.

As we basked in the unexpected warmth of the sun on an otherwise freezing day I listened to the one-sided conversation. My sister in law like me is a little quiet at times. Bright Young Thing on the other hand was happily chatting away about some cute guy who gave her his number and some other cute guy who has promised her an expensive necklace and how cute her hair looked two nights ago and how she has the greatest Brad & Angelina scoop ever.

Suddenly in the bright sunlight I realized with a shock that she was just T’s type.

At least one of the reasons I have been finding it hard to move on is because I never understood why any of it happened. I asked T. Why? What was it? He didn’t have an answer. But I think I finally figured it out. It wasn’t his weakness or her seduction or my failing. It was because he was with the wrong girl.

I can see how he might have been mistaken. On the outside we are very similar. Bright Young Thing and I are both wearing form-fitting cashmere turtlenecks over designer jeans and high heeled boots. We both carry cute purses. We are both about the same height and weight and the same degree of pretty. But that’s where the similarities end. What drew T to me was my reserve, my reticence, my mystic. What drove us apart was the same thing because he just likes a different kind of girl. There was nothing either one of us could have done.

Not sure what I am going to do with this realization but it’s a little more than I knew yesterday.

After lunch we went back to shopping some more. Bath & Body Works was having a sale and since they just started carrying C. O. Bigelow I stocked up on some Rose Wonder Cream, Rosewater Toner and my favorite Rosebud lipbalm. I also got a yummy scented travel candle from L’Occitane. Other than that my haul of the day included a couple of small gifts for family members, a Chanel lipstick called Tijuana for myself (a very soft, pretty red - I am hoping this is the red I have been looking for) and a pair of tall black lace-up boots that I am sure will come in handy during Halloween. Kidding. Actually, the boots are totally hot.

3 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

The obvious question is whether he was really the right guy for you?

2/16/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Coloratura said...

Stick to your guns, senorita... you are headed in the right direction.

Somewhere on a distant hill, with the sunset splashing orange and purple dreams upon the sky, is a man on a horse just waiting for someone like to come along, with your Tequila lipstick, hot boots, mystic and all, so that you can ride off in the sunset together. Never mind what 'auntie' says. And I think you won't!

2/18/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger cherchezlafemme said...

Coloratura, you make me want to strap on my boots, slap on some lipstick and take off running in search of that horse! I wonder if it's the same one K T Tungstall keeps singing about.

Neil, I am not avoiding the question. I have no idea.

2/19/2006 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home