Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Present

My mother’s doing better. My father’s not at home. Not sure where he is. They don’t really get along. They have gone through love and hate and have now settled on uneasy indifference. My brother and his wife are probably at school or work.

Around noon I went down to Blockbuster and picked up a bunch of dvds. Today is Tuesday and rent 1 get 1 free with rewards card so I got 4 for the price of 2. I considered getting one of those Valentine’s bucket thingies with a cute romance video and some popcorn but I don’t feel much like watching sappy love stories these days. Not that I ever did come to think of it. I must have been the only person in the theater during Titanic crying out of sheer annoyance. So instead I got La Cage Aux Folles (the movie that inspired Birdcage), 8 Women (the movie that I am always surprised hasn’t inspired an American remake yet) and 2 movies I hadn't seen before - Chutney Popcorn and the 1998 Angelina Jolie starrer Gia.

Back home I settled onto the couch with a small bowl of popcorn, a tall glass of diet coke, a sandwich I made (2 pieces of lightly toasted bread, a slice of cheddar cheese and some ham) and a half box of Nestle’s ice cream cones that I rescued from the back of the freezer.

So, for Valentine’s day I ate odd assortments of food on my parents couch by myself, watched a movie about two middle aged gay Frenchmen, a campy semi-musical whodunit with 8 French women snowbound in a house with a murdered man, a tale of inter-racial lesbian relationship with messages of tolerance, acceptance and cultural reinvention interwoven into the plot and the tragic rise & fall of 70’s supermodel Gia Marie Carangi who was one of the first women to have been diagnosed and die of AIDS.

It was a lot of fun.

I love Valentine’s Day. Yes, I know it’s a huge cliché and I am supposed to say cool and clever things like how I am pioneer woman with 195 IQ and a defiant feminist who believes in paying her way through the world and stick my nose up at Valentine’s Day (which is kind of ironic since I do have a decent IQ, I do believe in equality and I am paying my way through the world) but I do. I like Valentine’s Day and every clichéd thing it stands for. I like the candlelit dinner and the staring into each others eyes while our song plays in the background and big, romantic gestures like a dozen red roses.

But I also like this. Just sitting on the couch by myself eating popcorn and watching quirky but interesting movies.

Halfway through Chutney Popcorn I paused the movie and opened John’s gift. He had handed me a small box at the airport with a slightly embarrassed air and asked me to open it on Tuesday. I was just so relieved that he said "Tuesday" instead of "Valentine’s Day" (what do you know, I am pioneer woman after all) that I had forgotten all about it (which is highly uncharacteristic of me since when someone hands me a wrapped gift and asks me not to open it the first thing I want to do is open it).

It was a keychain. I had told him during bowling how my keychain wouldn’t stop blinking and how I may have to get another one because it was driving me crazy. That must be where he got the idea.

T was into big gestures. He would have booked a fancy restaurant and tried to buy me jewelry. Except the restaurant would have been booked by his secretary and the jewelry would have been picked out by his sister or one of his many women friends or a cute sales assistant who modeled selections for him. Never mind whether I wanted jewelry or not.

I was in love with T. I am not in love with John. But this is quite possibly going to be my favorite Valentine’s day present.

3 Comments:

Blogger beefdrop said...

I like your airplane art. Does the one stem that goes to the left symbolize anything, with its missing flower... it made me wonder. Actually, don't answer my question, I like the curiosity of it.

2/14/2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Coloratura said...

That is a great present... glad you had something on the infamous V-day...

2/15/2006 5:55 PM  
Anonymous doc said...

Hey I agree 100% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! ##link#

3/17/2006 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home